Friday 30 September 2016

Friday Fics Fix - Shoot That Poison Arrow

Fanfiction is often far more willing to depict the diverse make-up of the world we live in than mainstream media.






I find it easier to find diversity in fanfiction than in almost anything else.







And while there are certainly issues with representation in places, you're never far from an exploration of mental illness, or a domestic LGBTQ+ drama.

(Just one  of the myriad of reasons I love fanfiction!)








So, my dearest nerdlets, I have brought you much diverse fics in the past, including (and not limited to):


...and more LGBTQ+ relationships than I have room to mention here (including that one time there were Stucky mermaids... yeah... MCU fandom likes merpeople. Don't ask me why, because I really don't know.*)

(*Fangirling notes:

Stucky = Steve Rogers (Captain America) and Bucky Barnes in a relationship.

MCU = Marvel Cinematic Universe.)








And this week I'm going to bring you another fic which deals with mental illness: this time based on DC's Arrow TV series.

(If you haven't seen Arrow before then dude, GO FIND IT AND WATCH IT!!!!)

This is another fic about PTSD - something the series touched on in the first season or so but really didn't actually properly freaking deal with!














Clearly, fandom as a whole has realised that superheroes are a prime PTSD-risk - what with all the troubled childhoods, torture, and generally traumatic experiences.

In fact, PTSD is most definitely something that mainstream series/movies need to address - it's not a weakness.

And fandom, unlike the mainstream media, refuses to ignore these things ;)













I love the way this fic details the physical effects of mental illness, and doesn't shy away from the realities.

This is actually the start of a fic-series, so I may very well be trying the other parts of this!








So, this week's fic is:

Flight Path by whiteraven1606



Enjoy! And I'll be back with more fanfiction next Friday.






Like this post? Try these:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? I love comments! Talk to me nerdlets!