Sunday 12 June 2016

Nerd Church - What Do They Do For Us?

As I said last week, the EU isn't sexy.

I plan on making it more interesting by sticking in random gifs and generally being my wacky self.

So stay with me! I WILL make this interesting... somehow.









(See? Phoebe thinks I can make it exciting >.<)







So, if you live outside the UK, or under a rock within it, let me explain: we're having a referendum on June 23rd to decide whether we leave the European Union (or EU for short.)












The EU is not just about migration!

(No, really, that's just the bit the media and politicians distract us with because they don't want us to ask real questions.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, I'm a pragmatist with A-levels in Media Studies and Law. One of my topics for Law was the EU - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and all that jazz.)





'What has the EU ever done for me?!' - I hear you cry.

(If you live in the UK, it's more than you think.)




Well, dearest nerdlets, let me give you just a few examples:



  • Because of the EU, we don't need a Visa to travel or work abroad in Europe - this means that weekend getaway to Paris or that job in Ibiza over the summer is quicker and simpler to achieve. No paperwork, no rejection of your right to work in that country.

  • Because of the EU, we have strict bans and controls on the use of pesticides - this means that chemicals that have been found to be harmful to bees, for example, are banned or regulated.




(I can make things sexier - look! Hiddles! Hiddles makes everything sexy, just by being Hiddles.)




(Hiddles can make anything sexy. Even the EU.)







  • Because of EU arts funding, many UK projects have been financed - from the drama Hinterland/Y Gwyll, to Shaun the Sheep: The Farmer's Llamas (and if you don't like Shaun the Sheep, you are NOT British,) from university arts programmes, to theatres, to film. Our culture has benefited from the EU.






  • Trade, business, and imports/exports are easier in the EU - just trust me. They are.

  • Because of the EU, we have standardised workers rights. We are protected by these rights. Things are hard enough in this country, but luckily we have the EU watching our backs. Thanks to the EU we have the right to 4 weeks paid leave per year, and we have the right to statutory rest and breaks.





So don't make a decision based on fear.

Don't listen to Nigel Farage (our Donald Trump to you non-UK-readers.) 

He's a toad who a witch turned into a man. The toad was unhappy with his lot - he missed being a toad. So he decided to make everyone suffer for it. And make everyone miserable and afraid, just like him.




I've only given a few examples - just to prove to you that the EU is more than you think it is.

The EU benefits our culture, business, and worker's rights. It's involved in safety regulations, access to further education, and grants.

We need the EU. We are protected by the EU. Let's stay in the EU.





(And I remind you that anything can be made sexy by adding Tom Hiddleston.)







Nerd Church is a weekly post where I get all political and/or moral on your a*ses and rant on about various issues.

If you liked this post, and don't want us to leave the EU, please spread the word and share!





Like this post? Try these:

2 comments:

  1. I think you made some great arguments Cee! I hope that everything will work out for all of you over there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments! Talk to me nerdlets!